Thursday, May 8, 2008

Hives and Poop! (yes, you read that correctly)

Never a dull moment around here. This morning as I went to get Jackson up for school (mother's morning out that we call school), I noticed a few red patches on his arms and legs. I thought to myself, 'That's weird, I wonder if something bit him during the night'. Then as we started getting dressed and brushing teeth, I started to notice more and more bumps and patches. I showed them to my mom and we wondered if we should call the pediatrician. Jackson followed me into my room where I was finishing getting dressed and as I turned to look at him I noticed that I could now no longer make out his knees, wrists, or ankles as his body in general was beginning to swell. So I yelled down to my mom to put Luke in his car seat that we needed to leave for the doctor pronto. Sooooo...after all the drama and an hour at the pediatrician with Teddy waiting in the car with Luke so he could stay away from the germ-infested waiting room an extremely tired post-call Daddy :) we have learned that Jackson has one of 2 things: either an allergic reaction to the penicillin he's been taking for his ear infection or a case of hives brought on by a virus. The doctor said the hives will likely last for 3 weeks (yikes!) and the treatment is to take benadryl and zyrtec daily. Fun times.
In other Jackson news, we had a big night here at Casa de Dennis. JACKSON POOPED IN THE POTTY! Yes, it finally happened, and in the big potty too. But bless his little heart, that his first experience on the potty had to be the worst case of diarrhea I have ever seen (sorry if this is TMI), probably part of the virus that caused the hives. But I look at it this way...it's hard enough to get a 2 year old to give you enough forewarning in order for you to get them to the toilet on time when it's just a normal #1 or 2, let alone the #5 or 6 that we were dealing with. So BRAVO to my poor little splotchy boy! I am so proud of him. Below is a picture of him (hives and all) holding his prize...a new Thomas train for his collection. Notice that his little hand is so swollen it looks like a tiny catcher's mitt.
And in Luke news...he didn't really do much today except for eat, sleep, and be the cutest little baby ever (ok, tied with Jackson).

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Wow, sounds like an adventure filled morning. I'm glad that Jackson's going to be okay. Poor thing!